PE AND SPORT PREMIUM
Please read the information below which explains what the P.E. and Sport Premium Grant is as well as how we allocate and use this funding.
What is the P.E. and Sport Premium Grant?
The P.E. and sport premium grant is a Government led fund which is allocated to schools with the intention of helping them to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of physical education (P.E.), physical activity, and sport offered through their core budgets. Funding for schools is calculated by reference to the number of primary-aged pupils (between the ages of 5 and 11).
At St. Bernadette’s we fully agree with and support the Government’s conviction that all young people should have the opportunity to live healthy and active lives. A positive experience of sport and physical activity at a young age can build a lifetime habit of participation.
Physical activity has numerous benefits for children and young people’s physical health, as well as their mental wellbeing (increasing self-esteem and emotional wellbeing and lowering anxiety and depression), and children who are physically active are happier, more resilient and more trusting of their peers. Ensuring that pupils have access to sufficient daily activity can also have wider benefits for pupils and schools, improving behaviour as well as enhancing academic achievement.
How is the grant used?
The P.E. and sport premium grant is allocated directly to schools so they have the flexibility to use it in the way that they believe will work most effectively for their pupils.
At St. Bernadette’s we are committed to ensuring that all of our children receive a broad and ambitious education, including opportunities to be physically active during the school day and through extra-curricular activities. We also aim to support the personal development of pupils through opportunities, for example, to learn about eating healthily and maintaining an active lifestyle.
Our academy uses the premium funding to:
• develop or add to the P.E., physical activity, and sport that we provide
• build capacity and capability within the academy to ensure that improvements made now will also benefit pupils joining St. Bernadette’s in future years.
We will use the funding to secure improvements in the following 5 key indicators:
• the engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity
• ensuring the profile of P.E. and sport is raised across the academy as a tool for whole-school improvement
• developing increased confidence, knowledge, and skills of all staff in teaching P.E. and sport
• ensuring a broader experience of a range of sports and activities are offered to all pupils
• promoting and ensuring increased participation in competitive sport.
In support of these aims, St. Bernadette's allocates the P.E. and sport premium grant to fund a variety of activities:
• Participation in the Baysgarth Sports Partnership (co-ordination of subject leader training and events)
• Specialist coaches to work alongside teachers (for training and continuing professional development purposes)
• Provision of additional sporting days at the academy, delivered by specialist coaches for all pupils
• Provision of swimming lessons for Reception children to help foster a love of this sport and to commence the development of a crucial life skill from a very young age
• Provision of additional top-up swimming lessons to pupils who have not been able to meet the 3 national curriculum requirements for swimming and water safety – after the delivery of core swimming and water safety lessons
• Provision of staff for after-school sports clubs
• Co-ordination of sports events across schools
• Increased sporting and competitive opportunities for all pupils
• Sporting enrichment opportunities
• Transport costs to sporting events or trips
• Subsidy of P.E. kit
• The purchase of essential resources and equipment.